Thursday, August 15, 2013

Chocolate Cake & Eid (the cake that nearly never was)

This post should have been an Eid celebratory post. It was going to have photos of a beautiful chocolate cake, gold and glittery, and oh so inviting. Instead to say I have had a rough few days making this exact chocolate cake, is putting it mildly to say the least.


Sometimes no matter how much you plan things to happen, they just won't happen that way!

Day 1

I first started to make my chocolate cake the day before Eid. However to cut a long story short, I was so pushed for time that all I managed to do is bake my two layers, knowing that since Eid was the next day it would be a family day, and there would be no time to make the frosting and decorate my cake. Sighing, I knew it would have to be finished the day after Eid.

 
Day 2

The day after Eid, I excitedly made my frosting, frosted and piped the cake, and added my sweet finishing touches in the form of edible gold sequins and gold dust. Last but not least I added my two moon and star glittery gold toppers - a homage to Eid and Islam. It looked like a beautiful cake and I was so happy. As I set up my photo station outside, I noticed it was a little blustery, but didn't think too much of it. With the cake placed infront of my background board I realized I had forgotten to bring my camera out.

Well ladies (and gents), the scene that greeted me when I came back with my camera was not a happy one. Suddenly I saw no cake and a fallen backboard. My board had fallen flat down onto my chocolate cake.

All that frosting and decoration was ruined!


I really don't need to say, but I was not happy at all. Infact I was so upset I consoled myself with a Starbucks chocolate chip cookie AND Haagen Daaz Praline and Cream ice cream.


However, unfortunately for me that was not all!

Day 3

The next day I proceeded to remake my glittery moon and star toppers, re-frost the cake, and set-up again outside. My cake had kinda shifted and squashed a little from the impact of the board the day before, and my heart really wasn't into redecorating it, so visually I wasn't as happy with the way it looked compared to the first time round. It was still windy outside but this time I was extra careful that nothing would fall. Yet it still seemed like things just weren't meant to be...


Just as I switched on my camera, up flashed on the screen: 'Your memory card cannot be read. Please reformat'

What the... Reformat?! I tried to remove the card and put the card back in. The same message flashed. Even inserting the card into my laptop didn't help, as it still said it needed to be reformatted. All I could think was 'but I need to take photos of this darn chocolate cake, and I have so many photos on that memory card which haven't been copied!!!' This was seriously the last thing I needed to know.

Still all was not lost!! In the meantime, rescue came in the guise of another memory card I had on hand, so I did get to take my pictures. By this time though my cake looked super sweaty and pretty sad itself to be honest.


The final 'icing on the cake' (pun intended!) came after I had taken my photos. That wind just couldn't let things be and the backboard once again did its job on the cake.

 
So as you have probably guessed by now, I can't say I am pleased with how my pictures turned out at all. Not only had this cake been refrosted and decorated, it was also 40 degrees weather, the frosting was starting to melt badly, and add to that the wind which was still there.

But wait!!

One good thing did come out of all of this though... a seriously amazing chocolate cake. I have to say this is the best homemade chocolate cake EVER. Its moist, cakey and chocolatey in the perfect way, and the chocolate frosting pairs so beautifully with it. I found absolutely no fault with its taste that I have decided it is now my go-to chocolate cake recipe. And maybe the next time I make it, I will have better luck with the presentation and photos ;)


And you know what else? My husband managed to save the photos on the original memory card for me in the end too!

Hope those of you who celebrated Eid had a lovely one!

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting

For the Chocolate Cake

Adapted from Sweet Falcon

Makes a small two layer cake
(Double the recipe to make a normal 9 inch cake)

1 & half cups packed brown sugar
Half cup butter, softened
2 eggs,
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 & 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tspn baking powder
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup yogurt plus half tspn baking soda
3/4 boiling water

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. In a bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs one at a time, until well blended, and then the vanilla essence. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together, and add to the egg mixture a little at a time alternating with the yogurt. Make sure it is all well combined and stir in the water until blended. Pour the batter into two small greased and lined cake tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

For the Chocolate Frosting

(Own recipe)

1 cup butter
 2 and half cups icing sugar
Half cup cocoa powder
2 tblspns heavy cream

Cream together the butter, sugar and cocoa powder until well combined. Add the heavy cream and mix well. If consistency is too soft, refrigerate for ten minutes before frosting your cake.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I think it looks absolutely beautiful anyway! :) Well done. We all have days like that that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your kind words are appreciated! I guess you are right, I was bound to have a day like that sometime!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad this cake came to be--it looks so fun and celebratory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, it was definitely intended to be a celebratory cake!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you had such a tough time with this cake! It definitely looks like it was worth the struggle. Love the gold glitter and toppers :) I'd be thrilled if you'd come on over to Pink Recipe Box and link up at Creative Wednesdays: http://pinkrecipebox.com/creative-wednesdays-with-pink-recipe-box-6/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicky, I'm glad it at least looks good to you! I'd love to link up at your party :)

      Delete
  4. And everything ended up fine! This looks delicious! We'd love for you to come over to our newest link party over at The Inspiration Network: DELISH- a desserts only link party. Bring your desserts and let's party!!
    http://theinspiration-network.com/delish-dessert-link-party-no-1/

    Smiles,
    Melanie and Diana
    The Inspiration Network

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie! Would love to link up with you :)

      Delete
  5. Yay, it all worked out in the end. One time I made my grandma's three layer carmel cake for a charity bake sale at church and I was so upset that I didn't let it cool properly and turned out funny looking when I frosted. Do you know the buyer still paid top dollar and didn't care. I guess as long as it taste good. Thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up with us at the TGIF link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleshea! Yum, three layer caramel cake. I'm glad to hear your story turned out well in the end too, I'm sure it tasted amazing!

      Delete
  6. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete

© Beela Bakes | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig